There was an article on the type of education, given in Sainik Schools for all other schools by PMO. This thought possibly emanated from the fact that it induces discipline and national respect and a way to have more children ready to sacrifice for the country. Primarily with the aim of producing children for the Armed forces, it has grown into a residential den of living giants with brain, strength to face the world and die for the flag incase required. This is what is actually required for any country. Even though this training has been proposed to be given to all including girls by many, during schooling, it is for the first time PMO has stressed its needs, hence the focus.
True interest from the Government and that too from PMO has made me react happily and positively, because of my own career having been shaped by that school at large. I am from Sainik School Tilaiya, Hazaribagh, Jharkhand. It was in Bihar when I graduated out of this great school. I owe all my success to the school, to the teachers, to its culture and the team-work taught to us to become a complete all rounded person with all balance needed for life. Many of the alumni have reached the top services starting from Defense forces to Police, CRPF, CISF, to Academics, to Administration, to Medicine, Engineering, to Business, Trainers, Teachers, Researchers and Sportmen. They have excelled in all walks of life with confidence despite all available problems of the society. The differentiators have been the every day routine being followed with traditional Guru-Shishya Parampara with rigour. It ingrained in us the sense of togetherness for all causes since most of the activities involved team spirit from our teachers/ mentors working and running with us, leaving no stone unturned for the purpose.
I discuss below the aspects of involved upbringing of each child by expert mix of Academic faculty and rigour of the Armed forces in its officials namely Principal, Head Master and the Registrar. I will share some genuine loving moments spent in my school during 1976-83 during the Principal-ship of three Principals of whom I would specially mention Col. P.S. Satsangi in whom we saw a Leader, a Philosopher, a Player, a speaker, a practical gentleman who would teach us to eat even banana skin and coal since that might be at times required during emergency. He gave this example in the mess by real demonstration of eating it himself. This made learning happen.
- Day began with morning Physical exercise (PT) 11 Kms of cross country run making a great beginning and having it with all friends taking care that each complete the race. The practice of Yoga and group exercise on drums beats made a great start of the day. It is being continued even today keeping us all fit and away from diseases.
- With limited resources we learnt to share the bathrooms and still be in time for our zero period.
- First year (class six) being the toughest, we got used to the routine later and started loving the pattern so badly required today in each child.
- Breakfast, lunch and Dinner of the best quality was always done together, in one of the biggest mess of the country, being served by loving employees with so much care that we forgot our mothers. Balanced diet was maintained.
- Compulsory sports of all types were made available and that made the whole difference, bringing in a sense of competition, breaking records in track and field events and other regular sports like football, hockey etc.
- Social service in terms of cleaning was a general routine.
- Class level competitions on English and Hindi declamation, extempore and group discussion was a norm.
- Personality development happened so naturally while organizing various events and following seniors. There was no scope of escaping, since a sense of enjoyment and discipline was built in and all did it together.
- We were made to have regular class hours and then a self-study (Prep) compulsorily in the classroom in the evening after the sports from 7 to 9 p.m. to see us complete our daily academic task.
- Having had that we finished our day around 10 p.m. with our dinner and our teacher would go to the extent of seeing whether we washed our feet and even removed water droplets between our fingers so as to get up fresh again at 5 a.m. the next day.
- Celebration of all festivals together had its own charm with faculty.
- Faculty members in the campus gave the love required and we always felt at home.
We were made genuinely strong and determined in all dimensions through meticulously designed pattern of imparting Education. I stress that this type of EDUCATION will solve the root problem, which is today affecting the Education system, at all levels. Finding right kind of fits for all areas will never be a problem, since the training has all possible in-built in-gradients. Some important characteristics required in all students’ personality in schooling career are given below:
That they all should be disciplined, Confident, good decision maker, proactive in nature, planner for all small and big problems in the class and in the society, planner, fighter, lover, obedient, thinker, go-getter, good speaker, physically fit, team maker and follower, leader, taking the problem head-on, not be afraid of idiots with wrong priorities, honest, respecting the dress, the flag and the country. An all round personality with awakened state of mind in all dimensions of life is what is produced by SAINIK SCHOOLS.
Some of the most important factors, which left the everlasting impact on each child were:
- Place (Away from home with focused aim at an early age)
- The curricula (CBSE, Best to make them fit at par with others)
- The totally involved teachers (I would call them as Mentors for life),
- The involved Administration from the Armed forces, with zero tolerance on indiscipline
- The Govt. support for children from average income family
- The involved planning wherein students were kept active from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. everyday to make him represent a character.
- The exposure in all areas including Academics, Sports, Boxing, running, Horse riding, Swimming, Rock-climbing, Boating, Cycling, Sight seeing, Seeing of historical monuments and places.
- Family type interaction with the teachers being away from parents at an early age, specially from House Master
- Learning from seniors and giving it to juniors etc., passing the baton with grace
This changed each child into a matured person by class X and they were already leaders by XI or XII standards. Decision about their career was getting shaped while the schooling was happening. The performance at different levels being tested every day, every moment with minutest details being ensured for the coming life. Many things came so naturally in seven years, when we stayed together. It created an unbreakable bond to help support each one for life. We are friends even today even after 34 years, even though we have not even met, for decades. Thanks to the digital social media we are really together again. We understood each other and cooperated to become stronger together. May this culture be, that of all our country to make us succeed in all our times. We can see a huge change in the way Job, Career and Future and Life is looked and appreciated.
Bringing out the best from each child with compulsory training in these formative years made the impact for life. Once we mature and are made capable of taking our own decisions, Career does not remain a question. It only remains a matter of choice and interest and furtherance of the area to find a place in life. Incase, we introduce this education system in all our schools, changes are bound to happen. I will go a step further to add that the same be given to both boys and girls, learning from what they can do in all fields including cricket. The changes expected in the society will happen with our planned shaping of human resource early in life rather than at University levels. Let us not delay.